These minutes were approved at the 2022 WAA Board Meeting in July 2022.
WAA Governing Board Meeting
Friday, September 9, 2021
Cahokia Mounds, IL
Board Members in Attendance: Ryan Grohsmeyer, Anita Lukes, Margie Takoch, Angelo Robledo, Debbie Andrews, John Whittaker, Douglas Bassett
Others: Frank Lukes (editor, The Atlatl), Lori Majorsky (Elections Manager), Ron Mertz (Annual Event Committee), Janeen Grohsmeyer (Website Manager)
Ryan Grohsmeyer brought the meeting to order at 3:10 pm.
- Secretary’s Report – the minutes of the 2019 meeting were posted on the website for 2 years, and available for inspection. No minutes for 2020 were available due to the cancellation of the Annual Meeting at Valley of Fire. No discussion or corrections were made. Margie Takoch moved to adopt the minutes, and the motion was seconded by Anita Lukes. Motion was carried unanimously.
- Treasurer’s report. Anita Lukes reviewed the 2019-20 and 2020-21 financial reports and answered questions regarding them. Income for 20-21 was $4129.97, and expenses were $3626.35. The current cash balance is $5636.94. Douglas Bassett moved to accept the reports, Margie Takoch seconded the motion. Motion was carried unanimously.
- Annual Committee Meeting:
- Ron Mertz reported that Glen Fretwell in Oregon wishes to host the 2023 Annual Meeting in Gorge Valley Canyon around Labor Day. The location is about 63 miles from Napa, Idaho. There are several places of interest in the area. A follow-up on confirmation of camping availability needs to be made by the committee. Angelo Robledo indicated he would like to see the Meeting occur at Valley of Fire, as it was unable to be held there last year. Discussion ensured regarding which site would be best to use. No decision was made. The 2022 Annual Meeting will be held at Flint Ridge State Park in Ohio on July 7-10, 2022.
- ISAC Committee: Debbie Andrews reviewed the proposed additions to the ISAC rules regarding the amount of small events occurring on a weekly basis. It was suggested to add 6.3.c. to the rules, “No more than two recognized ISAC events may be held at the same site per month without the approval of the ISAC Committee.” Anita Lukes moved to add this section to the ISAC rules, and Margie Takoch seconded it. The motion passed unanimously.
- Treasurer Position – Ryan thanked Anita for all her work as Treasurer. Anita chose not to run for reelection in that position, and nobody accepted a nomination for that position. That will leave the organization without a Treasurer as of January 1, 2022. The Board discussed creating a separate Store Manager position, which will entail the manager to maintain the store items, inventory and fill requested orders. This does not require a change in bylaws, and the president may appoint someone to this position. Treasurer duties include managing membership, compiling financial reports, and filing all federal and Colorado forms (WAA was organized in Colorado, and still needs to complete the forms for organization).
- Election Results – Lori Majorsky announced that Devin Pettigrew was elected as the new Vice President, and Angelo Robledo was re-elected to the Board of Directors.
- Janeen Grohsmeyer wishes to step down as Webmaster, but she will continue to assist until a new Webmaster is found.
- Janeen developed and shared a brochure for people interested in becoming WAA members.
- A discussion was held on having Board Members who reside outside of the US other than the specified European Board Member. A review of the bylaws indicates that it is possible, as it is not specifically prohibited.
Angelo Robledo moved to adjourn the meeting at 4:50 pm. Douglas Bassett seconded the motion. The meeting was adjourned.
WAA Annual Meeting
Cahokia Mounds, IL
September 11, 2021
Members and Guests in Attendance: Anita Lukes, Frank Lukes, Gordy Behrendt, Leonard Riemersma, Janeen Grohsmeyer, Ryan Grohsmeyer, Irene Grohsmeyer, Andrew Majorsky, Ron Mertz, John Whittaker, Frank Takoch, Margie Takoch, Linda Nolf, Gary Nolf Alex Grohsmeyer, Steven Spencer, Bill Iseminger, Dawn Wagner, Lori Majorsky, Alan Artz, Veronica Artz, Douglas Bassett, Eric England, Lisa England, Liam England, Sue Mercer, Jerry Nevin, Barbara Spencer, Angela Robledo, MacKenzie Wegmann, Joe Ruggiero, Dave Patterson, Debbie Andrews, Richard Matney (26 members, 8 guests)
Ryan Grohsmeyer welcomed everyone, and thanked his sister for the photography, his mother for the slide program, Cahokia Mounds for hosting the event, as well as The Missouri Atlatl Association for organizing the event.
Awards for the Cahokia contests were given out by the MAA to the three top scorers in the Women’s, Men’s, and Youth Divisions. Douglas Bassett gave out awards to the US Open, and disseminated the remaining ISAC awards for the last two years to those who had not yet received them.
Ryan Grohsmeyer gave a presentation on dart velocity using a power point display.
Lennie Riemersma led a memorial to RK Rutherford from Wisconsin, a supporter of the atlatl organizations.
Election results were announced by Lori Majorsky. Devin Pettigrew was elected Vice President with his term expiring on Dec. 31, 2023 Angelo Robledo was re-elected to the Board of Directors, term expiring on Dec. 31, 2024.
WAA has vacancies for Treasurer, Store Manager, and Website Manager. Please consider assisting the organization by filling one of these positions. Anita reviewed the duties of the Treasurer. Discussion occurred regarding what would happen without a Treasurer, with no definite result. The issue is not closed.
Anita reviewed the last two years of financial reports. We have 158 paid memberships.
Ryan displayed the new ISAC rule on the PowerPoint, and read it out. “6.3.c. No more than two recognized ISAC events may be held at the same site per month without the approval of the ISAC Committee.”
Next year’s (2022) Annual Meeting will be held at Flint Ridge State Park in Ohio, July 7-10.
The meeting was adjourned by Ryan, and a presentation on stone tablets was made by Bill Iseminger using powerpoint.
Debbie Andrews, Executive Secretary.